Onychomycosis treatment in Montreal
What is an Onychomycosis ?
Onychomycosis is an infection underneath the surface of the nail caused by a microorganism known as fungus.
These fungi grow in a dark, heated and humid environment. That’s why toenail infection is particularly common.
What are the symptoms?
The infection is characterized by a progressive change in a toenail’s quality and color. It become thickened, discoloured (yellow or brown) and brittle.
But others nail diseases may give same symptoms and only a podiatrist or a doctor can detect if it’s a fungal infection or not.
Is it painful?
Toenail fungus is often ignored because the infection can be present for years without causing any pain. However, people with onychomycosis may experience psychosocial problems due to the appearance of the nail.
But if ignored, the nail become thicker and it can become really painful.
Is toenail fungus contagious?
Yes. If left untreated, fungi can spread to other toenails or the skin (this is called “tinea pedis”)
How to treat an onychomycosis?
Traitements may vary, depending on the nature and severity of the infection.
- Topical antifungal treatment like lacquer, do not work very effectively when used alone
- Oral antifungals prescribed by your family doctor are more effective but may cause side effects.
- Laser therapy, no side effects, no pain
While waiting to consult your podiatrist :
– Wash your feet everyday
– Dry thoroughly your feet after bath or shower, specialy between toes
– Change socks everyday
– Walking barefoot in public areas (gym, shower, pools)
– Use the same nail clipper for the whole family
The earlier you seek professional treatment, the greater your chance at getting your nails to clear.